ATTENTION: We are still open and shipping from both our warehouses.
Rest assured that our warehouse staff are observing all CDC recommended practices.
Office staff are working remotely and available for live chat and email support during normal business hours.
Charles Emdy, a master metal worker, made his first central vacuum prototype out
of a wooden box to prove his concept. Finding success, he purchased 12 motors from
Ametek and started M.D. Manufacturing in his garage in North Hollywood.
- The first 100 units had a huge 14-inch decal on the front
- MD produced the first 2-motor unit
- MD produced the first unit with dual intake necks
- 1963 MD's first independent dealership
Marketing materials developed and dealerships grew:
- 1971 Wayne Emdy, Charles' son, purchased the business from his father
- 1976 Business moved to Sunland, California, and settled into it's first shop
- 1976 First non-family members hired
- 1978 Wayne quit local installing to concentrate on dealers and distributors
- 1978 MD becomes an early computer adopter with its billing and inventory system
- 1978 Sales of units expand to Hayden in Canada
- 1979 Business moved to North Hollywood on Magnolia Blvd.
- 1979 AirMaster and Flo-Master brand initiated
Growth and expansion - First distribution to nationwide distributors:
- 1981 Moved factory to Sun Valley, California
- 1983 The company began exhibiting and teaching seminars at VDTA
(Vacuum Dealers Trade Association)
- 1983 Fire at Sun Valley Plant destroyed all tooling and inventory. Units
began shipping two weeks later from operations back at Charlie's garage.
- 1987 Wayne Emdy receives patent for first quiet central vacuum
and SilentMaster brand
- 1987 Factory moves to much larger facility in Bakersfield, California
- Rapidly expanding international sales
- 1992 Wayne Emdy passes away and is succeeded by Grant Olewiler
as General Manager
- 1994 MD begins sales of incredible new Stealth power brush
- 1995 Wayne and Charles Emdy inducted into the VDTA Hall of Fame
- 1995 Charles Emdy quits sewing the cloth bags for units at age 89
- 1996 MD starts builtinvacuum.com / centralvacuuum.com
- 2001 Shipments of MD Vacuums begin into China
- 2004 MD received new "AirForce" patent for quieting vacuum motors
- 2006 First report of broken belt on a Stealth after 12 years
- 2006 MD introduces new patented CentraMop and MantaMop
- 2007 New Warehouse Management Software benefits all customers
- 2009 MD completes construction of new USA facility
- 2011 MD celebrates 50th Anniversary